Saturday, June 6, 2009

D-Day; The Benchmark

Those of us who have been to combat all have our D-Day. For most of us, it wasn't called that. Sometimes it was; many invasions and operations have had their start day, also called, "D-Day," but there is one day that forever bears that name. It is the symbol, ever since June 6th, 1944, of D-Days. Ever since that D-Day, it has affected all of us who have had our own D-Day. For me, that effect began as a child.

In movies, books, and in my imagination, I tried to understand what the thousands of men who participated in that operation went through. It set a standard in my own mind for what a Soldier must be willing to do, to endure, to brave. It inspired, shocked and loomed over me. I was in awe of those who rode the C-47's, gliders, and landing craft. The exploits of the Rangers at Point du Hoc humbled me. The catastrophe at St Mere Eglise shocked me. The carnage of Omaha Beach overwhelmed me.

The bravery of those who jumped, crashed or made the landing stunned me. How could I ever live up to that? How did they? What, I wondered in my young mind, separated the living from the dead? Was it skill? Was it determination? Was it blind, dumb luck? I wanted to live. I pictured myself as the tough survivor. I found no empathy for the dead in my young mind. No, that wouldn't be me.

D-Day was the calliope of war going full tilt all at once. Hundreds of thousands of individual stories, thousands of ships, aircraft, landing craft, and the terrible crescendo of all that noise. To my mind it was an overwhelming scenario, and the humanity of it overwhelmed my mind. So many men, each with a life and a history of their own. So many experiences being had in such a small area. So many individual acts of bravery and valor; many of which eventually came to light and so many of which will never be known. So many lives and their stories ended.

It was so much to ponder. Too much. I can never get it right.

For myself and my generation, and for generations that follow, it sets the benchmark. Cries of "Currahee!" still inspire feats of amazing courage, and raise the wounded from comas. Young Soldiers, particularly in the Airborne, are still bred with stories of their regiment's legacy from that day, the night that preceded it and the months that followed it. That legacy sets a benchmark that generations of young men attempt to measure themselves against. I was one of them. There is no reaching that standard; only striving to come as close as one can, to do one's job under such horror, to not let one's compatriots down. To move one's feet though hell and horror await.

My D-Day was anticlimactic in comparison. My baptism of fire was practically gentle in contrast to the roar and confusion and mass fear that reigned on June 6, 1944. Nothing that I have tasted, though it may be in some small way similar, truly compares. I remain humbled. It will forever remain unknown to me what I would have done when the ramp door dropped, or when the green light lit. They knew. They felt. They did. For so many, it was the last thing that they ever knew, felt, or did. Each risked that, knowingly, and did anyway... and became legend; the greatest generation.

I stand in amazement. I am struck by their courage, I am overwhelmed by their experience. I am grateful for their actions. I am humbled by their sacrifice. I am astounded by their grace. I am led by their example.

I am free by their choice.

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful. I hope you don't mind if I link to this.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto that. You did a most remarkable job. You seem to find the words that are on the tip of my tongue, but they just don't come out. Thank you. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had you way with words Blue. It is indeed a beautiful post. Thanks for all that you have done and for what you are about to do. I've linked to your post.

    Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand completely. I grew up raised on stories of those men from WW2, it was the measuring stick for all things manly, to do the necessary thing, the right thing. I have served 4 combat tours now and I still feel as if what I have experienced is a mere shadow of what those men on Omaha Beach, Iwo, Saipan, Peleliu, Bastogne, etc, went through. I still feel unqualified to sit down with the shades of those men when I die, swapping sea stories and lies for eternity.

    Yet as I grew older, I realized that those of that time were not the only ones to have given so much of themselves, that others have willingly paid the price in situations as awful and dire. I lost my namesake uncle outside of Thionville in some nameless firefight, he had come ashore at Utah Beach, been wounded once, repple-depoed and returned to his ultimate death. He now rest in Alsace, a nice kid from Washington state. I lost another, much more anonymous relative in a B-17.

    Yet the stories don't stop there. I had a cousin at Khesahn, my father was in Quang Tri during Tet 68 (came home with a bullet in the leg). I had an uncle who was a cook in WW1, the most we ever got out of him was the horror of pushing his cooking cart over bodies to bring warm food to those in the forward trenches. Then there was the mutual slaughter of the American Civil War, where I lost family on both sides of the divide. One earnestly fought to defend the principles of State-rights and the imposition of federal tyranny while the other fought earnestly to keep the Union whole and later, to lift the shackles from humans in bondage. At least two direct descendents were killed by Kansas Jay-Hawkers, another died in blue. Then there was the father and three of his four sons who served in the South Carolina militia fighting against the British, at Eutaw Springs and Cowpens. One didn't survive Tarleton's concept of occupation.

    Courage is always there when needed, it resides in each of us and our families. While evocations of D-Day and all its sacrifice is important, at least I and you think so, that willingness to sacrifice traces through all our family histories. Just take a look.

    It is what has made America what it is. America is still the greatest country in the world and the noblest experiment in human freedom and enterprise.
    Semper Fideles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Afghan Jobs launched by individuals not related to any political party, none profitable and has been serving since 2009 to help jobseekers to find the jobs of their own choice, while providing a unique and advanced platform for employers to advertise different career opportunities available in their organization/company and receives resumes from potential candidates online, we serve as the bridge between jobseekers and employers by providing comprehensive online resources.

    Afghan Jobs is known to be reliable place to apply online for jobs, easy to use interface, fastest browsing experience and rich features set. That's the reason we are able to gain and maintain the trust of the users of our website.

    Afghan Jobs development team is working on the continuous improvement of the website and new features are introduced periodically to give users a more enjoyable experience.


    http://www.afghanjobs.org

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be moderated due to spamming of old posts.